Facebook Promotions Guidelines Explained
Although it may seem overwhelming, Facebook’s Promotions Guidelines are pretty simple. And if you’re using Wishpond's campaign apps, your contest will be designed to fit within these guidelines, so you won’t need to worry about it!
Here is a brief rundown of the most relevant points in Facebook's Promotions Guidelines and an explanation for each:
1. Promotions on Facebook must be administered within Apps on Facebook.com, either on a Canvas Page or a Page App.
Meaning: Promotions cannot be run directly on a Facebook Page’s Wall - it must be housed within a Facebook Page Tab, or on a separate Facebook App Page.
2. Promotions on Facebook must include the following: 1. A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant. 2. Acknowledgment that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. 3. Disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook.
Meaning: You must explicitly state that you the merchant are running this contest and that Facebook is not involved with it in any way (Wishpond’s applications have this disclaimer built-in).
3. You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a Wall post, or commenting or uploading a photo on a Wall.
Meaning: You cannot use a Facebook feature - such as liking or checking in - as a condition to enter a contest
4. You must not use Facebook features or functionality as a promotion’s registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of liking a Page or checking in to a Place cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
Meaning: You cannot use a Facebook feature - such as liking or checking in - as the means of entering a contest
5. You must not use Facebook features or functionality, such as the Like button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.
Meaning: You cannot use a Facebook feature - such as the like button - as a way for users to vote on contest entries.
6. You must not notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles (timelines) or Pages.
Meaning: You must use email, phone, etc. to contact contest winners. Wishpond campaign apps allow you to ask for this information upon entry, so you will not be stuck!